June 25, 2011

June 20, 2011






**I have to talk to Jordan about generalizing.  I'm sure there are many Latinos who are conscientious of their hygiene.  :)**
 

Well... He´s not E. Slaugh, that´s for sure. He´s Latino, 25 yrs. old, short, has terrible hygiene... We honestly aren´t getting along very well. Don´t worry too much about it, I´ll take care of it. First of all... HAPPY FATHER´S DAY, DAD!!!!!! Thank you SO much for everything you do for me. For making it possible for me to be out here.

E. Slaugh left for Confluencia, Neuquen on Monday afternoon. It was seriously the saddest thing I´ve seen so far in my mission. I love that kid like a brother. He was seriously my big brother out here, something I´ve never had. Our likes and interests, humors and stories were the same. We were perfect companions. Too perfect it seems like, because now he´s gone, replaced by E. Rojas. I met him on Tuesday night. I took him out right after he put down his suitcases to show him how I work. Many missionaries are under the impression that a missionary with only one transfer under his belt still needs help. WRONG. I worked that kid all night. He brought the cellphone so we would know what time it was to head back to the pench. He told me we had 15 min left before 9pm. I had us work for another 13 min and then we ran back to the pench. When we got inside, I looked at my alarm clock next to my bed and guess what time it said? 8:45. I pointed that out to him saying, What time is it? And he said... Let´s plan now. I said, No, we are going to work till the Lord says we´re done, which is 9pm. And I walked out the door. 

I found out that night that Latinos have terrible hygiene. He opened up his suitcases, and for the next three days, we had the most terrible stench in the pench. Rhyme. ;) He showers maybe every other day. Maybe. On Sunday morning, I had to say: You need to shower before church. He doesn´t wear deoderant, only a spray kind of like Axe to mask the smell. But it just mingles, and becomes even worse. Oh jeez. He´s never seen mountains in his life, Lived in Buenos Aires before the mish. He loves to chat with people. For as long as he wants. I have to forcefully say, Tenemos que irnos. We have to leave. He teaches too fast for people to really understand or feel the Spirit. I have to fight for my chance to bring back and save the lesson. He walks behind me as we walk around, doesn´t like knocking on doors... AGH! WHY, PRESIDENT PETERSON???!!! Give me a worker!! 

We visited Manuel, the man has changed. He remembered his baptismal date, which I didn´t think was possible, and wants to be baptized. I told him, Ok, but you need to come to church at least twice. Right after this, E. Rojas said: But, Manuel, if you feel up to it, we can baptize you tomorrow. I said no, Pres. Leal (The branch pres.) says he wants MEMBERS, not  inactives. He wants people who will come. He argued about that for a long time after the lesson, so I decided to take it to the man himself. Took him to Pres. Leal and watched for 45 min as my companion argued with the BRANCH PRESIDENT OF ESQUEL. I couldn´t believe my eyes or ears. One thing that is incredible, I can understand everything now. :) Ha! Castellano is such a fun language, but back to business. I was obviously on Pres. Leal´s side. 

One rule we have here is we can´t receive kisses. The custom for people here is to give the kiss on the cheek, same meaning as a handshake. Missionaries, not aloud whatsoever. Guess what happened the second night? E. rojas let this lady kiss him, and then tried to... What´s the english word for this... justify it! I was furious. We hardly talk right now. We have interviews with the Mish Pres. this Saturday. I can´t wait for this day, I HAVE to talk to him about this situation. 

But, despite all I´ve said, I know I´m in the wrong. I am not a righteous, disciple of Christ. I am not loving like I should. My patience is thin, my charity is almost nothing, and my humility is cheap. I am trying to figure out why Pres. Peterson put me with this companion, Why... I´ve been doing a LOT of praying over the past few days, to try and figure out the will of my Savior, what he wants me to learn from this, but it is so difficult. Please have Kolt write me on DearElder, I need his advice. Whenever it gets rough, I read his letter he gave me to open the first night of the MTC. His words help.

I gave my first blessing in Castellano to a less active member the other day. It went alright, little difficult, but I know it helped. Tulio is reading the Book of Mormon. The best news of the week... AH, it makes me so happy to think about the fact that he´s reading. I invited the family of an inactive father, his non member wife and non member kids to the Father´s Day activity at the church on Sunday. They all came and had a blast. I showed them the picture of our family that I keep in my Book of Mormon. Every one of the was in awe of how tall Dad is... A fact I´m still proud of. :) I´m going to begin teaching the kids piano lessons. I need piano music to listen to. CD´s and a CD player would probably be best, but I don´t know if it will be cheaper to buy the player here or have it sent. Either way, I can wait another transfer or two. 

Pray for me, please. E. Cuthbert needs the prayers of his family and friends. Help me be more than I am. Because right now, I´m lower than the dust of the earth. I love you all. I am so appreciative for the things you all do for me. I feel your love constantly, and know I have your support. Be assured that E. Cuthbert won´t stop for anyone or anything. I´m here to work and do the work of my Father in Heaven. I cannot be tempted by Satan, for I was meant to be a King. 

I love you all. 

E. Cuthbert 

No comments: