May 10, 2011

April 30, 2011


So this is it!
I leave on Monday!! It's so crazy to think about that it's finally here. I've been here for TWO months! That means there's only 22 months left on my mission, which isn't that long, now that I think about it. The realization of that hit me a few weeks ago, and I've come to realize at just how short this mission really is. When you think about it, I really will be home not too long from now. But anyways, I'm not focused on that, I don't even have coming home on my mind. I think about coming home and I don't like the thought, just because I know that if I were to come home, I would feel like I'm missing something very important. I know this is where I'm supposed to be, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had to be here at the MTC to prepare for my mission.
We had our last temple day today... Sad, because I probably won't get a chance to go back for two years. It was a good experience, although I picked a nasty piece of quiche that had cranberries and mushrooms and other stuff in it... So I just stuck w/ the waffle, omelet, bacon, chocolate milk, and hashbrowns. :) Hahaha!
This week has been tough, because the MTC is implementing a new curriculum, and because of that the schedule has changed. This means that the teachers we've had for 8 weeks can no longer teach us because of the strictness and rigidity of the hours... I'm TICKED! Haha, only because I've grown so close to H's Douglas and Maxwell. They're my heroes, and I look up to them and trust them. In the last week, we've had 4 different teachers, and it's terrible. They don't know us, or try to get to know us. I feel bad, I was being a real rebel the other day w/ one of them in particular. Ha, all I want is to see H's Douglas and Maxwell before I leave. They've been there the whole time, taught us everything we know, I've had some very, very intense interviews with the both of them where we've both grown together tremendously. If I don't see them, I will be incredibly disappointed.
We had the opportunity to listen to Elder Dallin H. Oaks on Tuesday. TWO Apostles in a row!!! It's been the best way possible to end our time here at the MTC with two Apostles. Their advice and counsel has been so helpful. I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers, because I've been asking for particular blessings and knowledge over the last week, and then Elder Oaks came and spoke specifically on every single point I had been wondering about. When we pray, our Father answers. Always remember that.
Being a Zone Leader has been the funnest experience ever. I get to interact with everyone in the Zone and be their servant, leader and friend. I've grown close to all of them, and we had the chance to welcome in another District of 12 Elders this past Wednesday! They're such a good group of Elders, I'm incredibly sad I won't be able to see them grow here at the MTC. But from what I've seen so far of them, they will all be incredibly strong missionaries. Being a Z.L. also presents some challenges... There's a Zone on the bottom floor of our Residence Hall, Zone 3. They are TERRIBLE. (We're on the top floor.) Anyway, this zone has some of the worst Elders I've ever seen. Some I would even question whether or not they should be here. Everything I'm about to list off is rule disobeyed:
Cutting hair in the Residence Hall
Shoving bananas into the toilets
Swearing
ARRANGING MEETINGS WITH GFRIENDS AND PARENTS AT THE TEMPLE
Running around on all the floors and turning off the power
Breaking into peoples rooms and either trying to scare or steal
Sleeping in
Walking around stark naked
Walking around the halls, showing their garments
And many other incredibly terrible things. This is SO frustrating for me. I've had to ask HF for patience so many times, because there were a couple of times where I literally thought I was going to punch one of them in particular. They try provoking you, making fun of the Elders who are being obedient, but no one does anything about it!! I've decided I'm going to let it be known, and talk to someone who will tell Pres. Brown, the MTC Mission President. If they don't do it, I'll go talk to him myself. This should not be tolerated, and the things they're doing are completely inappropriate as servants of God. Sorry about the venting... I know what I'm here for and what I am. They do not.. It's a tough situation, but I feel it's necessary for it to be brought up.
Elder Wible and I have really been focusing on our teaching over the past few days. on Tuesday, we had the opportunity to teach an investigator who had lost their mom when they were 9 years old. Their mom had been a member of the church. The Spirit was so strong during that time, and at the end of the first lesson, we invited Fernando to be baptized, and he said YES!! Accepted baptism after the first lesson, that is something we've never done before! I was so proud of us and what we were doing, and what we continue to do. I'm so excited to get out in the field. It's going to be insane, w/ real life investigators w/ real problems, people who really want my help and people who want to change. I can do that. I'm a Servant of God, who has been called to bring back His children. This is something I WILL do. I want you all to know that I will never waste a week, day, hour, SECOND of the Lord's time. I'm here to give everything I've got. I want to become the best missionary. I want Argentina Neuquen to be the best mission. I want to lead the mission in everything. I won't do this by focusing on numbers, or anything like that. It's not a selfish thing to want to be the best. It's selfish not giving the credit to the one who makes me the best, DESPITE my mistakes. HF will help me become the best because he wants me to, despite the mistakes I continue to make. I'm so thankful for Him and His Son, Jesus Christ. I've gained such a testimony of that while being here. I never know quite how to explain how I feel through an email... It's very difficult. Know that your friend, brother, cousin, nephew, son - Elder Jordan Evan Cuthbert - has a testimony. And if you ever are struggling, if you ever have doubts, if you ever need someone... You write me. I'll help you. I'll be there for you. How could I not? Knowing that the Savior is here for me 24/7.
Well, I guess this is it. I won't be sending another email until I'm 6000 miles away. I can't tell you how excited I am. I probably have a 20 hour bus ride to look forward to when we reach Buenos Aires, but I can't wait. Whatever the next few days hold, I'm going to hit it head on. I'm so ready to work, and I feel prepared. My Spanish isn't fluent, but I am doing great. Much better than I ever thought possible. Yo se que vive Mi Senor. Yo se que esta iglesia, La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los santos de los Ultimos Dias es verdadera. Les amo much. I don't know when I'll be able to write next. I don't remember my address for letters to Argentina, but my mom has the address, so get with her. I would love letters from anyone who will write them. :) Gosh, I love you all. Remember that I'm always thinking about you, I'm always praying specifically for each and every one of you. Know that I have a testimony. Know that I don't care about my safety. I'm going to preach the Gospel.
Times up.
Elder Cuthbert. Amor

No comments: