March 5, 2011

March 4, 2011

Hola mi familia!!!

WOW. I can't believe all that's been happening... These past few days have been going by SO fast. It's hard to believe that it's Saturday already. I guess I'll begin w/ Wednesday, what happened, and what my thoughts were.

I went w/ the host missionaries to my room. I dropped all of my suitcases and then went w/ them to my classroom. The classroom is where we spend around 9 hours a day. It's basically our home. There, I met my TWO companions; Elder M. and Elder W. Elder M.'s parents were mission presidents in Brazil a few years ago, so he had lived there for about three years. Obviously, he already knew Portugese, so the Spanish came very easy for him. Elder W. on the other hand is more like me. Took a few years but forgot a lot of what he had previously learned. We had a tour of the MTC or (CCM en espanol), we participated in teaching some investigators on our first night!! Before any of that happened, we had a large group meeting w/ all the new missionaries who had come to the MTC that day. The mission president and his assistants introduced themselves, we sang about cinco himnos, and listened to about seis talks. I can tell you now that I've never felt the Spirit more strongly than when we sing hymns. Every single hymn sent a new wave of overwhelming love and compassion over me.

After the first days activities, we went up to our dorm and proceeded to unpack. Elder M. was told not to unpack all of his things because they weren't sure he'd be staying w/ Elder W. and me. This was because of his experience in the language, and he wanted to be moved to the intermediate class, which teaches everything in complete spanish. No English. The first night was pretty difficult to get to sleep. But I finally did, had dreams of home, best friends and family. We are supposed to get up at 6:30 for showers and to get ready for personal study, I decided I was going to make it a goal to wake up at 6:00, to have more time to take a shower and do other things. The showers are crazy. Most of them are those really small dorm type showers with temperature handles that don't tell you anything about what temperature the water is going to be. At times it's hot, at times it's cold. It keeps you "on your toes", Haha. You learn to take quick showers this way. After that we get ready, go to the classroom, study by ourselves for a half hour then go have breakfast. The food is definitely cafeteria food. Although it's not bad, it's definitely not good. They have plenty of apples and grapes for every meal, so I've made it a goal to eat at least one every time I go into the cafeteria. After that, it's usually classroom time with our teachers, Hermano Maxwell y Hermano Douglas. They are both incredible teachers. This classroom time usually lasts up to FOUR HOURS!!! Ha, w/out the waterbreaks that they give us, it would be incredibly hard to concentrate.

If I'm not making sense, it's because we only have a certain amount of time to write emails. Exactly a half hour to be exact. I'm trying to remember everything that's happened these past few days so you all aren't mad at me when I haven't told you everything! After class it's lunch time. We've made it a goal to speak completely in Spanish during lunch, which is definitely difficult. None of us can remember nouns, or verbs, or anything in the Spanish language, ha, it can be very frustrating.

On Thursday, our Branch Presidency came and visited with us. They are great men, whom I look up to. They called me to be the District Leader. You might think this might entail some great responsibility to help my leadership skills grow... But all I get to do, so far, is get the mail. WHICH IS GREAT!!! Ha, I'm the only one allowed to go get mail, no one else can come into the mailroom, except to get packages. I got a letter from Dani on Thursday, which brightened my day immensely. And today I got a package from Aubs. I don't know what's inside it, but I think I might have an idea. Thank you Dani and Aubrey!! I will write to you both either today or tomorrow, so expect something in the mail by Monday or Tuesday!

Now, onto my companions. Elder M. was a very good kid. And, sadly, after three days of being together, he was exchanged to be in the intermediate district... It really was a very strange thing with him not being around. It felt like there was something missing. Elder W... Wow. Dani will be able to confirm this, because when I was talking to her about what my companions would be, she said the first one would get along with me great, we'd have fun and be happy! She then predicted my next companion would be a struggle. I can tell you right now that is 100% TRUE!! Elder W. complains a lot... He was "sick" the first few days, and complained about it constantly. He talks about home, how he wishes he could go off the grounds, how the classes are too long and boring, how he can't stay awake during anything, how the food is crappy BLA BLA BLA!!! As you can probably tell, this frustrates me greatly. In my opinion, I'm here for a reason. I'm going to have struggles and trials, but it's how I respond to them that will determine whether I'm HAPPY, or sad. I can tell you now that I am HAPPY!! I've had to pray every night that HF will help me have patience w/ E. W... I learned very quickly that there really is nothing to complain about. I'm here to learn, to teach the gospel, and have a fun time doing it. I'm going to have to beat that into him... Figuratively.

The gym is a great place. There's a lot of basketball hoops, volleyball nets, and places for four square. At the top there is a track and weight lifting machines... AND A PULL UP BAR!!!! The record for pull ups here is 29. I've made it a goal to beat that by the time I leave the MTC. OH! I forgot to tell you... my estimated departure date is the 2nd of May... 9 weeks... This is true for everyone, so I guess it's not so bad. It will be good to get into the habits of waking up every morning, praying constantly, and having numerous opportunities to teach investigators, etc..

I can say an entire prayer en espanol. The language is coming along nicely. For others it has come quicker, which is very frustrating. But i've told myself to just keep up with it, be OBEDIENT TO ALL THE RULES, and everything will fall into place.

I want you all to know that I have a testimony that this gospel is true. I've learned more these four days than I have in months of Sunday school and Priesthood. I hope all is well w/ you all... I love you, I miss you, I pray for you. I am so excited for this opportunity to serve a mission. The days have flown by, and I am having fun. :) Please take care of yourselves... Write to me quickly, AND TELL EVERYONE TO WRITE ME LETTERS!!! I LOVE LETTERS!!!

Love you all,

E. Cuthbert

No comments: