July 13, 2016

January 14, 2013

Hi all,

Each time I read letters like this I say a little prayer thanking Heavenly Father for providing this opportunity for our young men and women.  I know that there is no other way Jordan could become the man he is today without having the opportunity to serve our Heavenly Father and learn what is really important.  

-Melanie
It´s been cold??! What are you talking about?? It´s been FLIIIIPPIN´ HOT!! Holy cow, we had a week of over 100 degrees almost every day. It reached 107 degrees on Friday. Wow, we were sweating bullets, I can tell you that! On Saturday night, we had a rain/thunder storm that I have never seen before in my time here in Argentina. It reminded me of North Carolina. Lighting, flashing across the sky almost every second, with more rain than the sea has water. All the streets were flooded, All of them. But, it cooled down the weather, so I was really grateful for that.
 
Hello, my wonderful family! How are you all doing? I´m doing awesome. That´s incredible that everyone is leaving on a mission... It makes me really happy. The ward is going to be so different when I get home! But anyway, I´m not worried about that right now. Well, she left. Haha. Dani is on the mish! I´m sure she´s having an excellent time. I remember that the MTC was one of the best experiences that I had ever had in my life. The food... Do you remember me talking about the food? Makes my stomach long for the MTC... Hahaha!
 
E. Irala and I are freaking out. This next Monday is transfers. One of us is leaving. It will most likely be me, obviously, but we are still nervous. I´m thinking about where I´m going to be for the last 7 weeks of my mission. Where ever it is, I have a peace that the Lord is at the helm, and that he´s in charge of my mission, and that I´ll be where he needs  me to be. In this week of heat, we had a few wonderful miracles, we will be having 3 baptisms on Saturday, Genaro - The 9 yr. old son of a less active family, who really want him to get baptized. Vanesa and Oriana, the sister and daughter of Laura Venegas, the family with whom we spent Christmas. They, I am praying, and at this moment fasting, that they all make it. Vanesa, because of the death of Lucas (Son of Laura) has realized that this is what she needs to do. We know that Lucas´ death was something that would help many people grow closer to the Savior, and that it would be the strength that Vanesa needed to take the step of baptism. She is a wonderful person with a lot of faith. She is fasting with us, fasting for her baptism - What an incredible experience it is, to fast with your investigators! I love it.
 
I had quite the experience in San Martín last week. I spent the whole day in my old area... And I found a ton of old investigators! Then, on the way home waiting for the bus... Roberto Gori and his wife, (Roberto who I baptized with his son, Matias on the 5th of November more than a year ago) stopped with their car and offered us a ride to the pench of the Elders. Roberto got out and began yelling, bowing down to me, his wife (who was member beforehand) screaming, ran up to me and shook my hand with all her strength. We had a wonderful conversation on the way to the pench, where they informed me that, on the 21st of this month, January, they are GETTING SEALED IN THE TEMPLE OF BUENOS AIRES!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!! I was so happy! I almost had tears in my eyes because of it. Wow, what a beautiful sensation, knowing that a family you had taught, and baptized... Are now traveling to the temple to make those sacred vows through the Holy Priesthood! What a blessing! :) :) I told them that on the 12th of March, I´ll be there in San Martín with my mother, and they said: We´´ll be waiting for you with an Asado!!! So, get ready, Mom! :)
 
I also had a telephone call with someone.... Really special. The Rama family, Ramón, Mirta, Claudia and Dana... moved to Cutral Co, a city about an hour away from Zapala. I got the phone number from the Elders there, and called them!!! I spoke with Ramón. Right when he answered, I said... "Hi! How are you?" And without even saying my name, from that little sentence... He recognized my voice! Saying: "Hello, Elder Cofber!!! (No one can pronounce Cuthbert... it´s a curse;)) I couldn´t even speak Spanish to him, I couldn´t say anything! After a year without seeing or speaking to him, he recognized my voice... It was such a special moment. We spoke for a while about their lives, how everything was going, and I told him that he needed to go to church in Cutral Co. He said not to worry, that they were already planning on going. We are going to Cutral Co on Tuesday for a meeting with missionaries there, so I´m going to call him tonight and see if we can have lunch with them! What a blessing.... :)
 
This is it, one transfer more. After this week, 7 weeks till the end of the mission. It´s unbelievable. I can´t even... I can´t think. I want you to know that I am very happy. Thank you so much for the support that you always give me. Jared, how are the workouts going? I´m pushing hard, so that when I get home, I don´t find my younger brother stronger than me! HEH!! I love you all so much. Mom, I haven´t gotten the pckg. yet, but we haven´t gone to get the mail yet... It might be there... Anyway, OH! Mom, I have a request for you. Can you try to find a book that´s called TEMPLES. It´s by an Apostle of the church. A member here has desired that book ever since he was a missionary, but it only comes in English, and it doesn´t exist here. Will you try and find it? It´s old. Written in the 70's or 80's, I think. Anyway... That´s all for now! I love you all! This week we´ll be traveling again, a lot. But even with that, we´re going to get the Standard - a final Explosion of Elder Cuthbert/Irala power. ;)
 
E. Cuthbert

No comments: