July 13, 2016

October 8, 2012

Writing emails to you guys is SO difficult, I want to answer all your questions, and the comments that you put, and at the same time, there is SO much to say about how your son is doing at the bottom of the world! I will do my best.
Conference was amazing. I too, loved E. Holland´s talk. He has always been my favorite Apostle. He has a power when he speaks, unlike any other, except for the Prophet. I too, gave a talk on that VERY subject, two days before, during the interviews with our Mission President! He gave me time to talk about how the mission has helped me become a Disciple of Christ, and I decided to talk about that same experience with Peter and the fish, and the question, Do you love Me? What a wonderful talk, and what a wonderful question. Do we love the Savior? We know that in John 14:15 it says, If you love me, keep my commandments. Such a simple, yet powerful statement. We must be willing to give everything. It´s interesting to know that in Hebrew, the three times that Christ says do you love me, he uses a different verb for the word "love". The first time, the verb he uses is meant for a childlike love. The second time he uses a different verb to say, Do you love me? And this time, the verb is meant in a much more deeper sense... The love that a husband will have for his wife and vice versa. And the third and final time that Christ asks his chief Apostle... He uses a verb that overpasses ALL other form of the word "Love." It is a verb that means, complete, total, nothing held back, complete and utter submission to whomever it is that you love. Christ was asking him to die for Him. Do we love Christ, enough to die for Him? Let´s think about that.
 
I´m sure you guys had an AWESOME time with Chris and Holden! I too, made a huge decision... And decided for the first time in the mission, to actually follow a Cuthbert Tradition... I made scones and honey butter! DELICIOUSSSSS!!! E. Marriott and I were in heaven, honestly, it was so good. I haven´t had that in a year and a half! Whoa! There is also a picture of our celebration of our 19th month in the mission. We used my last Brownie mix from the United States... And followed the special recipe in the back for Oreo Deluxe brownies... I mixed a cup of crushed oreos into the batter, baked it. When it came out, I made a cream cheese frosting, and on top of that, more oreos!!!! It was a MONSTER, and I´m sure we both gained more than a billion pounds. Hahaha! E. Marriott couldn´t handle more than one piece, and I barely mustered down two! It was delectable.
 
Now, Jared... I will put my concentration on you for a little bit. You want to know what my thoughts are about the new rule of being 18 yrs. old to leave on the mission? I think it is wonderful. I think the reason behind it, is that there is more need more than EVER for missionaries. Our beloved Prophet has opened up the flood gates to missionary work. That will mean, the message of the Gospel will be preached with greater efficiency, with more power, and in more parts of the world. My personal opinion, is that this is in preparation for many things that are, surely, on the way. It´s like sending in more warriors for the part of the battle that is MOST important, where the outcome is CRUCIAL. We never think that the Second Coming will be in our life time, but, as we look at the signs... Would it surprise you if it DOESN´T come in our life time? There are many things that still have to happen, obviously, but as wickedness increases... The rate at which it increases will also increase. Anyway, that´s not important. The important thing, is that we´re ready and prepared. I challenge you, my little brother... To prepare yourself now. I know you want more time to prepare yourself during the summer and everything like that. But don´t you realize that you can´t wait until you are graduated to "prepare yourself, and mature" before your mission? START NOW. I want you to study the talk given by E. Holland. Think about the love you have for your Savior. Also, think about the advantages, at beginning the mission at 18... I always thought that the time between graduating high school, and leaving on the mission was a very... awkward time. You both were right, you and Mom. I totally would have done it at 18. And I invite you to do the same. Pray, fast, prepare. Obviously, when I get home, we´ll talk a lot more. I´m not here to "call you to repentance" as I´m sure sometimes you worry about. I´m just your older brother, who, like you, is also learning and growing. But I know that if you put your trust in God, he will bless you. I love you so much, Jared. The Church is true. Could you feel it during Conference?
 
Did I tell you guys about the goal of E. Marriott and me? We have the goal to baptize 5 people before the end of October. We have been exorcizing faith like never before, working harder than ever before. There are so many things that have happened in so little time. I´m so grateful to have a companion like E. Marriott. Did you know that E. Neil A. Anderson talked about his family during the Saturday afternoon session? They showed a picture of his mom and dad, and his passed away sister. His family was spoken of during Conference. It was a very spiritual moment, being companions with someone who was being told by an Apostle that the death of his sister was a trial of faith. What an incredible experience. The spirit filled the room as we heard that talk. He got very quiet, and I couldn´t help but try and keep the silence, knowing that in that moment... He was remembering the life of his beloved sister. I´m a very lucky missionary.
 
An investigator we have named María, just the other day, prayed at the end of a lesson. When she stopped praying, she exclaimed... What is this feeling I have in my chest? It´s something I´ve never felt before! She was stunned and confused by what was happening. She began crying. We, cheering on the Holy Ghost, began to explain to her, simply and clearly, that what she was feeling was the Holy Ghost, and that she was receiving an answer to her prayers and that the HG was testifying that the Church was true. She is progressing rapidly, and E. Marriott and I are doing everything possible to make sure that we make our goal of 5. The people are ready, but are we?
 
I´m over my time limit for writing... I love you all so much. This next week is going to be insane. It´s going to take a lot of effort to make our goals and dreams, visions and plans become a reality. Pray for us, PLEASE!!! I love you all so much, and know that Christ is my Savior. Tomorrow, we´re headed off to San Martín de los Andes for a Zone Meeting that we´ve prepared, and later on, I will be doing divisions with the District Leader. I will see E. Francis there. It should be wonderful..
 
I love you all,
E. Cuthbert

No comments: